Im still thinking of things to write my book on how to work or make money to stay in Thailand.
I think the following strategies are good
– dont fall out with people whatever they do (within reason)
– personal branding
– working for free, unless you have a job offer. Just because you have a degree doesnt mean your worth more in a new environment
– eat dirt for at least 2 years. Few treats as possible. Maybe a weekly barfine only
– do your best to stay away from alcohol
– be honest about your situation and needs
– share. Your ideas arent worth shit. Its the execution that is the hard bit. Find someone that can help
– offer sweat equity to get partnerships
– surround yourselfs by business owners/managers, opportunities do arise.
– try and get percents if no salary offered. Its easier for business owner if they are short on money
– know who to listen to and who not to listen to
– dont put up bounderies, there are always ways around things. Just aim for what you want and work ur way up.
– ask questions, business owners are often happy to answer questions if you are there customer.
– try to get a following or specialise in something, you will start getting people refered to you.
– work as many hours as you can on as many projects as possible. Its like fishing, you will catch something.
– look for trends in peoples businesses to see why some are successful. Figure that shit out and use it later.
– know when its time to start asking for money
– get as many commission only sales jobs as possible and go hustle. The more you work the more you earn. But dont get lazy when u start making good money. Try to think long term.
– look for deals in for sale sections. See whos making money.
– look at publications here to see who is advertising and how they are doing it
And most importantly work for free if you dont have a job lined up. Working for free is a far easier way to get your foot in the door. Prove you can add enough value to the business to warrant a pay accordingly.
Lastly, we had a guy doing our graphic design for us for free for 2 years. Hes got better and better and hes proven himself with his self motivating work ethic. Now he has a full time job with us because we are big enough to warrant a full time salary. Thats a perfect example of getting a job here. Creating a job!